giovedì 6 gennaio 2011

De Napoli



Some time ago I went to the town’s library and instead of looking at a load of books ended up going in a room reserved to a renovator who was taking care of some canvases done by Michele De Napoli, a local artist of the 19th century. The atmosphere was perfect: books covering all the walls up to the ceiling top (probably 5/6 mt high) no bright light, silence and canvases patiently waiting in a queue to be looked after by a young man in white overall.
What struck me was the unfinished…
A few of the canvases were actually a series of single subjects on what looked roughly prepared canvas.
So when I got back to my studio, I was in a daze, I tore a piece of good cotton material and prepared it quickly for painting before the felling and the memory of colours and quality of paint vanished.
I chose one of the photos of my models and started.
Before the day ended I come up with this.
Never painted anything else of the sort, because I never got such a feeling again, though I have seen other times De Napoli’s preparation studios…that feeling has vanished.


Un pò di tempo fa sono andata alla biblioteca comunale ed invece di stare a guardare un mucchi di libri finì per entrare in una stanza riservata ad un restauratore che si prendeva cura di alcune tele fatte da Michele De Napoli, un artista locale dell'800.
L'atmosfera era perfetta: i libri coprivano tutte le pareti fino al soffitto (alto forse 5/6 mt) nessuna luce violenta, silenzio e tele che attendevano pazientemente in coda per ricevere le cure di un giovane uomo in camice bianco. Così quando sono tornata al mio studio, ero sognante, ho strappato un pezzo di buona stoffa di cotone e l'ho preparata velocemente per dipingere, prima che la sensazione e la memoria dei colori e qualità della pittura sparisse. Ho scelto una foto dei miei modelli ed ho cominciato.
Prima della fine della giornata realizzai questo.
Mai dipinto altro di questo genere, perchè non ho mai avuto una seconda volta quella sensazione, eppure ho visto altre volte gli studi preparatori di De Napoli....quella sensazione è scomparsa.

Licenza Creative Commons

Nessun commento: